View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #36
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Seems your creating a narrative thats not there .. some may think that .. not I

You often contradict yourself without realizing that you do. As is the case here--saying that I'm creating a narrative that is not there while at the same time saying "some may think that". If some do think that, then the narrative is there. Whether you think that or not does not discount the narrative. The narrative doesn't have to include you. I wasn't referring just to you. Although, whether you think so or not, you feed into it. As you did here by minimizing the comparison to Trump taking action on his promise regarding lines crossed to Obama's lack of response to a crossing of his red line. Obama could have carried out his threat, regardless of Congress, just as Trump did. It was HIS red line, not Congress's red line. Not enforcing HIS threat emboldens the enemy. Don't make threats, red lines, if you can't, or won't enforce them. That is not good foreign policy.

I am just pointing out that Most conservatives wanted him (Obama) to seek congressional approval..prior to mil action in syria as did Trump as seen in his many tweets .. but conservatives as a whole do not no seek such requirement today
As Scottw's article points out, there is no "conservatives as a whole" on this issue, as on many others, regarding Trump.

As for me (I've already stated a few times that I'm more of a classical liberal with a "conservative" bent), there are arguments both ways whether Trump should have gotten Congressional approval to send missiles to Syria. Or, for that matter whether Obama would have needed to do so. I am mixed in opinion on it. The "message" sent by firing the Tomahawks sounds about right. But the notion of eventually removing Assad or weakening his ability to fight does not appeal to me in light of what would fill the vacuum.

I made the little "narrative" as you called it just to point out some apparent contradictions in politicized reactions to things Trump does, or doesn't do.

In this case, Trump specifically said he had a change of mind and heart when he saw the videos of dying and dead babies. Whether you believe that or not, he did say it. Maybe you don't think he should be allowed to change his mind. Maybe you don't trust someone who does rather than rigidly sticking to former positions. He also did specifically say a few times that he is flexible.

So you chime in about how he called for congressional approval before but didn't seek it in this instance. He may well have checked with his legal advisers who may have said that conditions and precedent didn't require the approval to do what he wanted in the cautious way (warning ahead) he did it. And maybe Obama really didn't want to bomb Assad and meekly acceded to Congress as a way to cop out of having to enforce his red line.

Don't know. But all of what has happened, action and inaction, point out a stark difference in making threats and enforcing them. And the politicized reactions to the difference. That's all the little "narrative" was about.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-10-2017 at 04:44 PM..