Thread: lcd or plasma
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I bought a 42" plasma a while ago and love the picture. This was before the LCD's became well known. It's great for movies and regular programming, but I was told you can get "burn in" on the screen if you watch a lot of sports (because of the fixed scoreboard info on the top of the screen). I have yet to notice any of this and I watch a lot of baseball and football on it. The hi def programming on cable is exceptional and the regular digital programming is about as good as on my regular non hi def t.v. The best thing I have noticed is that the picture is great from side angles. All that being said, I would probably go with LCD for my next one because of the advancements they have made since I bought my set. Whatever you decide on, do a lot of research and don't base your decision on what you see in the store. The picture quality in the big box retailers is not even close to what you'll get at home with a good set of cable and a hi def cable box. And no matter the brand, most of the components are all the same. There are only 2 or 3 companies that make the main components for LCD's and Plasma's, so go with a brand that offers the best features, warranty and service. The picture quality will be pretty much identical if you go with a 1080p, whichever brand you buy.

you will only get "burn in" on a plasma if you leave the tv on continuesly for extended periods of time and with the same image being broadcasted. Ex. you leave the tv on overnight for say a week straight on a standard definition broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio (black or gray side borders and dosn't fill the entire screen). The borders will burn in over time but we're talking hundereds of hours to do that. We also never reccommend plasma for gaming because of that. FYI.....Panasonic makes all the glass for ALL plasma displays but its the video cards and HD processors that set the manufacturers apart. With that said Panasonic plasmas have the worst service record of all the manufacturers. Pioneer makes a very good plasma and is a good company to deal with. 42" Pioneer commercial grade 1080i plasma is around $2700. Don't get all caught up in the 1080p vs i. Comcast can't broadcast in that format and won't be able to do it with their current infastrucure. Verizon fios will give you a true 1080p picture but good luck finding a town that has it. Blueray and HDDVD players can give you the 1080p but that's about all you be able to watch. If I put 2 tv's next to one another one being 1080i and the other being 1080p you would be hard pressed to tell the differnence with the average persons eye. That being said it is an awesome picture(1080p) but there just isn't a lot of content available yet.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote