View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #106
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
Scott,

Read my entire post. I'm not trying ot defend unions. I'm merely stating how they have changed economies...both good and bad. I can't argue that they have gone overboard in many states and companies. I can argue that in the states where unions had strongholds (meaning contracts) the prevailing wage was higher--for good or bad. I say good or bad becasue sometimes having a higher wage is bad. An example is my state where they seem to not want any business base and to make that point they keep taxing us as if the last one just left.
I did and I understand, I'm just not willing to grant unions in the modern era, credit for "lifting all boats"...they may have served a purpose long ago but the have worked in their own interest and in most cases to the detrement of those who are not in unions, they have chiseled out sections of the economy and used those entities, whether government or private business as their own hosts on which to feed, the union corporate structures are large bureaucratic machines that use the political system and thug tactics to increase revenue and membership while producing nothing more than preferential treatment for it's members and political donations for their tools in government....whatever positives this society and economy has derived from union actions are far outweighed by the massive debt that we now find hanging over our heads in order to accomodate and placate what is a relatively small segment of our society that whields tremendous influence ....which is obvious if you look at the various state capitols and the actual amount of $$$ that went from the stimulus directly to keep union members employed for the last two years

Last edited by scottw; 03-12-2011 at 06:36 AM..