View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Come on Spence.
the world can live on UPS, FEDex and DHL for mail!
If we did I'm sure the price of a regular first class letter would be at least 2-3 bucks.

As usual, there are multiple aspects to this topic. I do think the USPS has helped subsidize commerce and personal quality of life through cheap and reliable mail service. Especially before the big shipping companies came about I'm not sure there were many other options.

The flip side, and this is big, is that the USPS -- precisely because of it's cheap rates -- is also a willing accomplice to the murder of billions of beautiful oxygen belching trees.

How much of your mail every week is complete junk? 90% 95%?

When catalog season rolls around and people make jokes about the heavy mail bags the carriers just laugh, they love it because it keeps them employed.

I think there's value in keeping the USPS afloat, but also working to restructure it to be more efficient and make junk mail more expensive. There's no reason the taxpayer should be subsidizing a FOUR POUND Restoration Hardware catalog that's only going to be tossed in the recycle bin because it's easier to look online.

-spence