Thread: Do you.......
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #46
Jimbo

Like many others, I'm not a Capee, but have been fortunate to stay in a house that's been in the family in West Dennis. I bet many of you have probably driven by without noticing it, but it's been there since the late 1800's. Right on 28, one house back from the bridge. Electricity and plumbing were added a long, long time ago and haven't seen much improvement since. The bathroom has only an old tub, but we put an outdoor shower in about 20 years ago. There's nothing like that musty smell when we open it each year. That was home base for me from the day after school got out until Labor Day from 1958 until about 82, but I've managed to spend time there every summer of my life. Slipknot and Hooper bring back memories I have often of the area. The Red Cottage was where we'd stop for a cold drink when I drove a garbage truck for AH Crowell for a number of summers. I also remember cold Mountain Dews at Hamlin's garage after Red Wilson's Recreation program at John Simpkins, Cheap Beer nite at the Improper (with Jimmy Plunkit), riding in my grandfather's lapstrake Lyman to get rockweed for family clambakes on Bass River, Bottomly's Doughnuts, my first job ever was as one of the first miniature golf pros at Merry Mill around age 10. There were two other penny candy places we'd go to. One was across Fisk Street from Hojo's the other was in the barn a couple houses down from Christmas Tree. My grandfather owned a part of Big Simmons Pond in S. Dennis where my dad would take us to fish for perch and throw in a bar of Ivory so we could take our bath. I am proud to say I have Pilgrim blood in my lineage. My mother's family is from West Dennis and Truro. A distant cousin, Cap Paine was once "Station Keeper" at Highland and also Cuttyhunk and I always stop at his grave at that cemetary on 6 in Truro. My grandfather and now father have always had a keen interest in Cape history, which hearing them lecture about never bored us. I'm 50 now and he started his filming long before I was born, so the old 8 and super 8mm films are just an added plus (when the projector's working). It's astounding, to say the least, to see how Provincetown has changed over the years, or should I say evolved. I know you can never go home again, and it will never be like it was but still the Cape holds some allure for me that keeps me coming back and hopefully some time it will be permanent.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote