View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #13
ed morini

epoxy

Bill, all I can say is that with epoxy your mileage may vary. At the outset, this product is a sealing product and as I am sure you have noticed very thin. Looking at the specs on this sealer I would not recommend using it for plugs, but that's me, and I would add that it can be used with success with certain modifications to aid in the cure, as is your appreciation of Paul's and George's plugs.. I think here thin coats are a must, temperature control is a requirement given it long cure time (24 hrs for tack 72 for use). The substate should be as smooth as you would expect the finish to end up. I don't see any forgiveness here as you would with e-tex. " Bar top" and this product are not in the same category. From your description, I would surmise that there was too much heat that forced the gel time to alter from spec. Most of these "sealers" are formulated at a given time at 77* and in this case it 24 hrs for tack free.I would also recdommend using their "Tubro Cure" to shorten tack times. I would not get discuraged but would recommend you talk with Paul and George about their process. This is a product with a learning curve for use in plug building, doesn't mean it doesn't work, you just have to decide if it works for you, if it doesn't that's not a failure just part of the journey.
I hope to see you at Plug Fest, maybe we can talk further,

Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote