View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Ever ask your Dad if he thought he had it easy....

When the construction business went stagnant in the 70's my dad was out of work for 2 1/2 years....he was an iron worker. Ended up working as a fry cook in the summer and drove a cab at one point....collected as well in the winter.

I didn't go to college yet l have a middle class income. It can still be done. A person can be a tradesman and have a middle class income.....no college needed.

They didn't worry about terrorists but they were still attacked on our own soil during Pearl Harbor......they were paranoid about the red threat and nuclear war in the 50's.

Was life easy during the depression? There's always a challenge.....then and now
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"Ever ask your Dad if he thought he had it easy...."

I never said he had it easy. I said he had it easier. Big difference.

"I didn't go to college yet l have a middle class income. It can still be done"

TDF, you're making it sound like I said everyone before had it made, and no one now can get by. In my experience, that's what people do who don't want to admit when they are wrong.

Please don't put radical jibberish words in my mouth. Many people in my Dad's generation had it tough. many people in my generation strike it rich. I'm talkiung averages.

I said my generation pays WAY more for housing, healthcare, retirement, and kids' college (relative to average income) than the previous generation. Do you disagree?

"they were still attacked on our own soil during Pearl Harbor."

Wrong. That was 2 generations ago, not one generation ago. And the fact that the US emerged from WWII as the leading manufacturer in the planet, is PRECISELY one of the things that led to so much wealth for the generation of which I am speaking.

Look at the growth in the US economy from 1945 to today. TDF, you tell me with a straight face, you think we'll see that kind of growth in the next 60 years? No one thinks we'll see that.

Kids today can certainly achieve some comfort if they are smart. But it's HARDER to do that than it was 50 years ago. If you want to deny that, that's you're right. I just don't see what you have to gain by denying what everyone else concedes is the truth.

"Was life easy during the depression?"

Again, I'm talking about my Dad's generation (he is 74), not talking baout my grandfather. And after the depression ended, as I said, the US economy absolutely GREW LIKE CRAZY. THANKS TO A MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY THAT BASICALLY CREATED THE MIDDLE CLASS. That industry no longer exists. Take a look at Flint, Michigan, and tell me that times aren't harder now than 30 years ago.

I currently have a white collar job that's low-level management. Like just about every other white collar job, the guy who had that job 30 years ago had it a lot easier. His wife didn't have to work to make ends meet. He didn't work as many hours as I do. He expected raises of ast least 5%. He got a pension, social security, and medicare benefits which I will never see. And once again, he paid WAY, WAY less for his housing, healthcare, and kids' college (relative to his income) than I will have to.

Sorry you don't seem to like that fact. Believe me, I don't like it either. It's still a fact.