View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Muskyslayer96

Spook Hell..........Help

I made some smaller spooks (these small builds are a mystery to me, more difficult than Musky sized stuff). Made from basswood (as a test) I have some cut from cherry as well. 5.5 inches and a little over 3/4 inches at it's widest point. I have size 2 trebles on it.

it didn't swim/glide very well at first. i removed the belly hook and it was much better, but when i added weight at different points b/w belly hook and tail I could not replicate the action.

So I hope this isn't a dumb question, After much cursing on the long drive home I realized I was using my new set up with 20lb braid and a 25lb fluorcarbon leader....Fluoro sinks (heavier than H2O correct?) so that could have been the problem........I should be using mono as a leader correct........STUPID MS!!!!
My guess cherry or maple would be a better choice anyway?

The good news is If I'm using that rod, i can always remove the belly hook, she glided awesome like that...anyone make their spooks this small with just tail hook? Spooks are very frustrating to me and I'm determined to master them...I have poured over the wonderful post on this site by other spook builders.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

MS

Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote