View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I disagree. Those will work for sure, but I think you can maybe do better and definitely learn something more here.

I think they are too light. Add more weight and stay with the smaller hooks. You are better using internal weight rather than large hooks to weight a spook. The hooks add drag, particularly on the tail and kill action. Getting a plug that sits more tail down will also give you more "pop" or splash when you work it. May not matter for muskies.

I'd suggest you try another style as well. Try sticking a 1/2 oz of lead right in the butt, go with 2/0 hooks, and see what it looks like. Remember, tail weight is your friend in a spook. It is what makes the plug work. The momentum of the tail pushes the head to the side and makes it walk. One of the best "spook" designs ever is the ballerina. Bernzy's howdy is great as well. They sit vertical at rest with the head about an 1" out of the water and have a line tie on center (which works better as the plug becomes more tail heavy).

Try both, see which you prefer, and then use the other also since the fish usually have a different opinion than us.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote