Thread: MORTGAGE NEWS
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
It's called lender paid PMI and is usually the way to go. There is PMI on the loan it was just paid by your lender. There are 2 types of LPMI lender paid mortgage insurance. Lender paid single. This is when the lender pays the pmi in a lump sum and lender paid monthly where your lender pays the pmi company on a monthly basis. It's the smart way to go. But a lot of times the customer doesn't even know that the lender did LPMI which is not good practice. The rate change can be from .125 to .5 depending on credit score and ltv.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Really appreciate the info. lender paid PMI was a completely foreign concept to us until my mortgage agent brought it up. We did the math and it definitely made a ton of sense for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
Actually back in the day it was a good idea. Many people could have made larger down payments but the rates were much lower than conventional and even with the pmi back then payments were lower than say putting 5 or10% down. And lots of people went FHA to keep cash on hand. Now it's a last resort loan for the most part.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Way back in the day, for a brief period of time. As you said, now it's merely a "last resort loan" for people that shouldn't be buying houses anyway. If we look at any area where there are government backed loans where the 'rules of lending' are loosened, the market cost tends to skyrocket due to sellers knowing that the prices are artificially supported. This appears to be exactly what happened leading up to the housing bubble and history is repeating itself today with college loans.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote