View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
zimmy

Last Night
03/08/11 (Tue) Oakdale Theatre - Wallingford, CT
Set 1: Mississippi Half-Step > Easy Wind, Operator, Oh! Darling (1), Reuben and Cherise, Dark Hollow, Money for Gasoline, Foolish Heart

Set 2: Jam > Hard to Handle, Smokestack Lightning > Spoonful > He's Gone (2) > Lovelight > Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Days Between > Eyes of the World > Sugar Magnolia E: Johnny B. Goode

I enjoyed the show. First set was really tight and the MHS--> Easy wind was outstanding. Set 1 was pretty short. Set 2 I was less into, although one of my friends liked it better. For Me, hard to handle into smokestack was too much Bobby. I felt this way most of the 2nd set. He's gone was great. Lovelight was better than I had anticipated and scarlet-->fire couldn't have been better. Eyes was decent with a good keys feature, but Phil's singing wasn't great. Sugar mag was also only ok for me. Too much bobby talk singing, and by that point the Hurley-from-lost and his girl friend back up singers were driving me nuts with the fist pumping and stuff. Sugar mag also had a bit of a gospel choir feel to me, which I again attribute to back up singers, although I think it was mostly there was too much of them in the mix. Left early to beat notorius oakdale traffic jam when J-b-good started. All that said, overall a very good show and way better than most Phil, Ratdog, Furthur etc from the past. Fake Jerry is worth seeing and I actually thought the show with him was less of a cover band feel than past shows w/out him. If you have not seen a show in awhile, you will be presently surprised. This band has really got it together as well as one could hope.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote