Thread: Health care
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
detbuch

QUOTE=wdmso;1119460]The only sustainable health insurance is a free market one.

You mean the same ones that brought on the ACA

and the insurers who love it when at 65 you go on medicare

And Due to their profit driven model of Health care they Pricing people right out the market ,

You're confusing health care with health insurance. And you're not pointing out the full reason that the cost of health care has gone up. Both health care and health insurance have become increasingly less free market and increasingly more government regulated over time. And the rise in costs have consistently accompanied the rise in government regulation. Now, the constantly greater involvement of government was fueled not only by wonkish desire to "solve" problems as well as by central planners ideological belief in the virtue of government control, but as well, by those in the health care industry realizing that government regulation could be used to their advantage. The nexus between big government and greater profits for large centrally administered corporations (including health care centers) is the expensive, and ever more expensive, model to which you are referring here. That is not a free market model.

ask yourself what was the price of healthcare in the 1980's and the cost today as well as college is now a for profit model and they claim to be non profit

I've already talked about the cost of healthcare in the past in relation to the present in various other threads on this forum. And I've gone back much further than the 1980's which is too small a sample of time to make a useful comparison. By the 1980's the consolidation of big business and big government was well on ts way to being established. If anything, the 1980's was a brief time when government regulations and taxation were, to some small extent under the Reagan administration, rolled back. After that, especially from the Clinton years to now, the progressive connection between big business and big government has greatly expanded. Again, that is anything but free market.

real medical costs grew by a stunning 241%.
the growth of college tuition and fees, up 596% since 1980.

Those costs have gone up even more if you go back further in time. And the one constant has not been the growth of freedom in the market. Quite the opposite. The constant has been the constant growth of central government regulation of the market. This required a response of larger and more centralized business entities which were able to handle massive regulations and which benefited from them at the expense of smaller businesses. Free market economy has been allowed less and less space to flourish over that space of time.

I noticed that you posted another article/video by Peter Schiff to add to the video I posted in the thread on the future of Trump's economy just before this thread. I assume that signaled some confidence on your part in Schiff. If so, did you watch the whole video that I posted in that thread? Schiff pointed out the massive rise in healthcare costs and college tuition. And he connected that directly to government distortion of the free market by its interference and regulations. He even hinted that it might be the goal of progressive government to use regulation in order to not only distort the market but to make it collapse so as to, for instance, bring about totally government controlled and funded national health care. In a relatively few amount of words, he pointed out, from an economic point of view, who the culprits are in creating the huge rise in costs of health care and college tuition. I would recommend to you to go back to the video I posted and watch it again, or for the first time if you haven't already.

Healthcare should be a right not a choice[/QUOTE]

Would that be an unalienable right? Or a government granted right?

Are rights, for you, only granted by government?

Under our founded constitutional system, you have an unalienable right to pursue (seek) healthcare. You don't have a right to demand it, nor get it without just compensation to those who provide it. You pay for it yourself (or by an insurance company with which you contracted, chose, to pay for it).

Under a government which grants all rights, you have as much "right" to healthcare which that government allows you to have. You, or others, will pay for your care with taxes.

It's your choice of which system you want, so long as you can get a majority to go along with you. Which is to say, in a nutshell, under government granted "rights," you not only don't have a choice, you don't have a right.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-26-2017 at 11:50 AM..