View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
So JD......are you lumping ALL Public schools together under the same exterme spectrum.

I happen to like the public school system where I live. We have a nice mixture of old and young teachers and a lot of them really do care about the kids. I can e-mail any of them with my concerns and they will get back to me w/ things they can do to help.

I even got in touch w/ my kids Music teacher and he signed on to be a Merit Badge counselor for the kids that he teaches.

My wife and I looked around and checked the school systems of towns in the area before we bought our house here. Are there budget issues.....absolutely. but to assume that because of these that kids aren't going to get a good education is a bit of a stretch.
Having worked with as a subcontracted percussion instructor at multiple different schools - public and private, yeah I am grouping them all together. There are definitely exceptions, but my repeated negative observations seem to be the rule. I'm not willing to gamble that a school system that is good today, will still be good in 10-12 years and those last 4 years are the only ones that colleges look at.

Ask the handful of people here that have/had kids in the Mansfield School System. 10 years ago, it was a model system for the region in terms of academic, sports and extracurricular performance. But, now that the town isn't printing money like it used to, it has slowly but steadily been wilting. This is definitely not all on the Unions, but the Unions prevent progress from happening, while also causing huge added costs.