View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #23
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

In another post, someone suggested that teachers would all leave the profession if they did away with pensions. FAT CHANCE. I'd like to see tenured teachers hack it in the private sector, where you have to earn your job every single day, work more hours for significantly less benefits, and not get a raise unless you worked for it.
My in-laws both worked for the public sector (Teacher and City Attorney). My wife and I work for in the private sector. My in-laws cannot fathom the fact that we have to travel for work from time to time and be away from home. They've told us they would never do that when they were working and think it's crazy (obviously they are a little old school). They also can't understand that my wife and I work more than "9 to 5" hours. Work issued Black Berries so that you can be contacted at any time are another thing they can’t understand.

On the flip side, they are retired and have a great pension and great Health coverage from the State. I don't want them to lose any of that and since they are retired, I don’t think that should be taken away from them. My point is that the private and public sector are different in many ways. I think it’s gotten a bit out of control and the public sector has a lot of “perks” that are taken for granted that are now expected. As I posted on another thread, it is not sustainable as the only way pensions and high percentages of health coverage can be paid is to continue to increase taxes. The Government isn’t in business to make money and profit so you can’t compare or compete salaries with the private sector.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"