View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #58
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Are you speaking of this statement? That some claim means ashamed?
As true as Trump saying MAGA means he thinks America sucks

"For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback … not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Quite frankly, I honestly don't know what she is trying to say in that sentence. Maybe other sentences in her statement clarifies it. Is she saying that for the first time as an adult she is truthfully proud of her country, not just the perfunctory, obligatory, but insincere show of pride she may have displayed in her adult past? And is so because her country had no hope during her adult past but now has? And that people were not hungry for change in her adult life until Barack was elected? Does she mean by "my country" that place where the special personal concerns of her adult life were for the first time being met? Because, surely there were millions who had already, before her coming of age and all along believed that "my country" gave them hope, and who, before she became an adult, either were hungry for change or didn't want any. Was she trying to tell us that her personal, particular "hope and change" materialized with the election of her husband, but before that the country was hopeless? Is that something the rest of us should applaud her for.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-10-2019 at 03:40 PM..