View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #19
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Seems like the vast majority of the great universities are liberal. Good thing there are government schools of higher educ. or the cons. would be stuck w/liberty. I guess when you deny science you end up with crappy schools.

I never used to hear people refer to "your side" or "my side" until you started posting.

Man, do you have a lot of hate. It is constant.
I agree that most universities, if they were true to their mission, would be liberal. The problem that Jim has is that he uses the term "liberal" rather than "progressive" or, even more pertinent in the case of universities, the terms "Marxist" or "leftist."

Universities, Western educational institutions in general, have increasingly shifted their identity from classical liberal toward leftist, "progressive" (which is actually regressive), or actually Marxist positions.

Classical liberal universities, such as Hillsdale, are a distinct minority. And they do not deny science. They teach it, even in its most modern form. Actually, science is not as "liberal" in its methodology as it is "conservative." It is dependent on fundamental laws and principles. But it is also open to new realities dependent on discovery of previously unknown material facts.

Marxism, leftism, is hyper-"conservative". They are unbending in their adherence to a "class struggle" model for the foundation of society. And they believe in an ultimate utopian material "heaven" on earth achieved through the political victory of some poorly identified "worker" class.

Progressivism is hyper-"liberal". It denies any foundational principles. For it, social existence is purely "relative" (even though relativism paradoxically relies on actual fundamental realities in order to be relative to each other). Progressivism is entirely situational. And situations (which constantly change in the view of Progressives) are temporarily defined by whoever has some appointed power to define. And the remedy for situations is decided by select "experts" with whom there can be no disagreement.

Neither Marxism/leftism nor Progressivism are really scientific in their methods of governing. Classical Liberalism is. The founding of our nation, and its Constitution are based on Classical Liberalism.

Discussing the divide between various forms of leftism and actual liberalism is not about hate. It is about thinking rationally.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-05-2017 at 11:08 AM..