View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Any issues getting down in the water column? I'll be trolling the T&W in mostly 25-40' of water. I would like to avoid having to use something like the T-Man Rigs.
JD, what about a Daiwa Saltist 30 or 40 married to a 7.5' rod (maybe rated 20-40lbs)? You want at least 7 feet to make sure you clear your paddles when trolling. This set up could also be used for eeling off a boat and with a fairly fast tip would cast very nicely as well and would make a nice boat rod with good power. You could also get a spare spool and keep one with braid and one with lead core...or just use the old cordless drill and soda bottle trick to quickly change lines on the spool as needed.

If I know the areas you're gonna yak, you are definitely going to want to fish deeper than the <20 feet I saw mentioned earlier in this thread. 25-45 feet is more likely. I would use lead core for this (30# test). I don't like adding weights and dredges between me and the lure, these things act as levers as a fish shakes it's head and can cause the hook to tear out of the fish's mouth.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote