View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
falkners

I have not had any problems with the quick change keel system other than picking up weeds when there are alot of weeds in the water. As far as a fish being able to leverage itself against the weight I don't think that"s a problem because you are only talking about a maximum of about 2 oz. about 4-5 feet ahead of the hook. Usually i'm only using 1/2 -1 oz. of weight or no weight at all in areas up to about 10 feet.. When my homemade tubes with 6/0 Gamakatsus hit home they aren't coming out especially as hard as the fish typically hit the tube. The advantage of the braid is you see every little tick of the bottom (which is where you want to be) on your rod tip. If you want flexibility and you don't want to carry multiple rods/setups then braid is the way to go. Keep it simple because the more stuff you bring the more problems you will have. The one problem you might have is when you get hung up on the bottom or a lobster pot or such is its real hard to break yourself off so make sure your leader is the weak link. Braids are rated conservatively. A 50 lb braid might take 70 or 80 lbs to break depending on the brand or condition. I usually use about 3 feet of 40 or 50 lb flourocarbon for my connection between the keel and tube but mono would be fine.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote