View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #96
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Taking these 3 big girls for a swim today. Have to test the surface and mid diver. The deep will go along for the ride. Had requests for shallow running pikes.
Very cool.

I've not fooled much with pikies but have always admired the CCBC proportions and shape.

I tried a little but cutting that subtle concave slope has proven frustrating. Can't do it on a 3-4" radius. The concavity at the rear of the slope always ends up too steep. You need a drum about 20-30" in diameter. Next time I think I'll try a sanding belt glued to the drive wheel of a big bandsaw. Alternatively some sort of jig to move the plug in a slight curved path while held on its side against a drill press sanding drum or shaper bit might work.

As for depth control, varying the weights is one way but you might also fool with the lip. Those square bend old style CCBC lips pull a plug down hard (which I think is why they used such a short drop in the bend.....to moderate the diving effect some). You might consider opening the angle a bit and reducing the length of the lip.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote