Thread: OBL(UBL) Killed
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #99
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
As a former EMT, I've passed through a lot of VA hospitals. I can only go by experience with the facilities near me, but every one of them in this region is a dump with poor quality of care. They use equipment, not made by the best company, but by the lowest bidder. The pay for VA staff is generally terrible and it trickles down to poor care.
The issue of homeless vets (which I thought you were talking about) is diferent from the quality of medical care available to them. The quality of medical care for injured vets is one of the VERY few problems I can think of, that can likely be solved by pouring more money into it. I wouldn't mind a tax hike for that.

Homelessness is a very different animal, one that cannot begin to be cured by throwing money at it. If you built a new house for all the homeless, lots of them would end up back on the streets. Most (not all) are NOT homeless because they don't have a place to stay; the majority have serious mental issues.

I have very limited experience with VA hospitals, pretty much the time I spent in one after I got hurt. My care, I thought, was damn good. But I'd like to see it improved too.