View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
ivanputski
Pete K.

I fish in hartford quite often in the spring... if using bait, I try to use chunks of bunker, or sandworms... sandworms seem to attract a ton of small bass though. Larger chunked bait like bunker cuts down on tiny bass... when surf fishing the salt water coast, i cast and slow retrieve live eels 90% of the time, but have never had luck with eels INSIDE the river, except for the very mouth... if you have access to a boat, (i sometimes use a 12' aluminum with a 7 hp motor and cast soft white rubber lures like 9" sluggos or storm shad towards logs, stumps, & structure as if fishing for largemouth bass ( you will get some big ones in the process too! ) or, slowly troll a lipped swimmer or a small umbrella rig. the charter oak bridge is not the best location for big bass in may, although it may be convenient for you to get to... sure, SOME bigger bass come from there, but not consistant enough... too many other places to try. CT outfitters is a great shop and gary and Blaine there are very helpful... by the way, if you see people using live alewives to catch bass, they are breaking the law... good luck next spring... I know your pain... the fear of puttng in tons of time, just in the wrong spot or wrong technique, and it kills me to know its happenning all around me and I might not get mine. Good luck
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote