View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 04:54 AM   #78
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Three sons got a hammer in their hands around age 14, it stuck on one...
Best thing I coulda done...
all four of us on the same frame a couple times, I was on cloud nine...

That's great Ray!

Both of my boys chose a profession that will take good care of them and their families. Youngest is a bar manager at a private country club....some weeks makes as much or more than a master carpenter. The other is a land surveyor and cad operator for an established engineering company with opportunity to advance

The construction trade I went into as an 18 year old 45 years ago has changed dramatically. Over time it has become the bastion of illegal immigrants......wages are suppressed......their shoddy work has become acceptable.......they pay no taxes, workmans comp, unemployment insurance, health ins....sick days holidays...etc.

Many days I dont hear or see another english speaking worker

A once proud profession has been ruined...sadly I wont be missing it when I retire in a few years. Glad that my boys dont have to compete on this out of level playing field.

Got to know one of the coyotes who smuggles these workers up here. When they hit the ground here they owe the man $3,000...which means they work for nothing until it's paid off. Then he can fire them or keep them on at less than minimum wage.....and if they get hurt...they are on their own and disappear.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote