View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 05:28 AM   #8
Rmarsh

So I get started shoveling soot and ash into barrels and realize this is going to be a very dirty job and that I only came with the clothes on my back and a lunch, no mask, or any other protective gear. The floor is covered with at least 6" thick of densely packed ash with an occaisional seagul. And being in the chamber between a huge furnace and the chimney had me thinking "I hope somebody doesnt forget I'm in here and fire things up".

When I come out at noontime the union guys tell me I can sit in the lunchroom and eat with them, some of them chuckling at how dirty I was. The foreman, says its too bad but the adjacent room with showers and changing room is for employees only. Joe comes back late at the end of the day to pick me up and is pleased with the progress and says figure another day or two to complete the job.
On the ride home I can tell he is a little lit and smell alcohol. Joe tells me that he will pick me up in the morning... Im happy about that ...at least I wont be walking.

Next morning Joe picks me up at the corner of my street, right on time. My mom suggested wearing some clothing that could be discarded if neccesary, she didnt want to deal with soot covered clothing
in the washer again. I get dropped off at the power plant and get right to work. Joe says he'll pick me up at the end of the day. As I work I'm thinking...I'll have money in my pocket for the weekend...maybe even go to the drive -in movie with friends without being a moocher. My parents had eight children and struggled financially....I never once in my life asked for a penny from them.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 09-08-2020 at 06:15 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote