View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Thats a "Kinda" the same but not really. The naturalization through military service requires you to be a legal permanent resident to enlist. Those coming in illegally can't join the military so they don't qualify for it. Which is more what I was referring to. They want illegals to have a pathway to citizenship, maybe allowing them to enlist is a way.

the 2nd article is fluff that really has no bearing. I feel sorry for the guy, but A) he never filed to become naturalized and B) he became a felon, so that's a big 'Sorry, Not Sorry" for me.

maybe there is some tweaking that needs to be done with the rule.
You didn't read the whole article.
Trump eliminated MAVNI almost immediately after election.

There's another much smaller group of veterans who face potential deportation -- asylum seekers, refugees and certain visa-holders who served in the military to provide specific language, health care backgrounds or cultural skills considered vital to the nation's interest. This group is part of the Military Accessions Vital to National Interest program, otherwise known as MAVNI.

More than 10,000 enlisted in MAVNI from 2009 to late 2016, when the program was essentially abolished, according to retired U.S. Army Lt. Colonel Margaret Stock, who spearheaded MAVNI. Under Stock, the program made it possible for newly enlisted immigrants to get access to a sped-up naturalization process while still in basic training.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin