View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #71
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
There's a deeper breakdown that's creating anger in men that doesn't know how to vent and I agree it has nothing to do with politics. I read the other day that only 5% of mass shooters had a diagnoseable mental illness. While Cruz certainly had issues going after mental illness like Trump has been is just a way to excuse the violence as nothing we can address.

In a free society, violence is addressed by punishing the perpetrator. In an authoritarian society, it is diminished by punishing everybody.

I don't think it has anything to do with the breakdown of the family either Jim. You love to cite stats around the breakdown of black families but mass shootings by non black killers are 5 times higher and most of that is likely gang crime.
We have evolved into a society where the influence of family units is progressively undermined by the power and influence of the larger "family," the state. It is more of an appropriation of some of the control and influence that family units had rather than a breakdown of that control and influence. Though it is resisted by many who still believe in what Jim refers to as family values, it is gladly consented to by many of the post-1960-government-educated who want to be released from total or near total responsibility.

The different "systems" produce different societal results.