View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #193
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Since you say we should leave abortion rights up to states. I say, why stop there? Why not leave it up to counties, cities, neighborhoods, or—and this would really be fun—individual people?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Because I'm going by that pesky old document called the constitution.

The constitution lists things that are the jurisdiction of the federal government, and it also says that things not on that list, are up to states to decide.

I didn't just say "leave it up to the states", and make that up out of this air.

Using your "logic", why not leave the choice to rape children, up to individual people?

Not only can you not win this, you can't avoid humiliating yourself.

Many states will decide to leave this choice up to the mom. Other states, where most citizens don't like abortion, will restrict it.

This is a concept you're clearly struggling with and puzzled by, it's called "democracy". In democratic republic, sometimes you get what you want, sometimes others get what they want.

You seem to be under the impression that "democracy" means "always whatever the left wants".

I live in CT, I'm used to not getting what I want and accepting it. CT will not only continue to offer abortion, they'll probably make a tourist industry around it. And I accept that, because I realize that I happen to live in a place where the vast majority of voters are far left. I don't like it, but it's not unfair.

You can't grasp that.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 05-13-2022 at 09:37 AM..