View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
These are in the US
On average 10 children a year have been killed by guns in schools over the past 25 years.
On average 100 children a year have been killed riding their bicycles to school each year for the past 25 years
On average 1500 children a year are killed in gun violence
On average 15000 children a year are injured by guns
You accuse people of being thoughtless and dishonest because they think that more children will be killed if there are more guns in schools when the shots fired were one of two negligent discharge incidents yesterday. I can not find good statistics on negligent gun discharges by people currently permitted to have guns in schools, it would be interesting. However I would surmise that it will not save lives.
I think we have a gun problem but i think it is far bigger than school shootings
"You accuse people of being thoughtless and dishonest because they think that more children will be killed if there are more guns in schools "

WRONG.

I accuse them of being thoughtless, because in order to determine the effect of arming teachers, you need to estimate the additional violence caused by the extra guns, and then subtract from that, the violence that is potentially reduced by the presence of the extra guns. When doing a cost benefit analysis, you need to consider both the costs and the benefits, not one or the other.

Both sides are guilty of this, both sides tend to fixate on the side that serves their agenda, and ignore the side that serves the other agenda. That's why nothing ever gets done.