View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #114
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The reference was to you equivocating sexually predatory behavior and being a stupid politician in your statement. One is much more forgivable after an apology than the other.

I didn't equivocate. I wasn't evasive or ambiguous. I didn't even compare the quality of behavior. I pointed out that one was past and the other is present.

Further, Trump's behavior had no potential effect on the nation. Were you damaged by it? I didn't feel any repercussions. My income didn't go up or down. No financial depression was caused. No wars were started. No legislation to restrict personal freedom was passed. No stupid, wasteful, government plans were created. No destruction of the Constitution was caused. Trump was in no political position to cause any of those things.

Cortez is in a position to initiate or influence any of those things. Her actions are potentially far more consequential now and in the future than Trump's sexual behavior of the past can be.

Walking up to women and grabbing them in between the legs because they’ll “let you when you’re famous” is not a permitted action... that’s assault brotha. I’ll start redeeming him when he’s held accountable for the actions he has admitted to.

It's not up to you to, nor can you, redeem him. You can only redeem yourself. You do that by forswearing and forsaking your past discretions and henceforth leading a good life. He has apologized and seems to be "clean" of the "grabbing." And whether he's "held accountable" or not, what concerns me and is most meaningful to me is what he does NOW and in the future as President. As well, it is far more meaningful to me what Cortez does NOW and in the future as a member of Congress than whatever sexual behavior she had in the past. And I assume, maybe wrongly, that she has had sexual behavior, some of which many folks would disapprove of. But it didn't affect the course of human history very much, if at all.

That being said, I passed the hose to you because you felt compelled to create an equivalency between the congresswoman’s stupidity and the president’s past transgressions to create some kind of “he did”/“she did” cancellation which I believe to be a far too frequent move by both sides of this political mess when one side or the other makes a mistake. He assaulted many women, or at least has claimed to have. Congresswoman Cortez is quickly making herself out to be a politician who doesn’t really know how the world works. They can both be wrong, but one is much worse than the other, plain and simple.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I did not create an equivalency. Quite the contrary, Cortez's actions as Congresswoman are potentially far more destructive to the nation than what you refer to as Trump's "assaults."

Trump didn't assume that he was "assaulting." From what he's said he presumed that the "grabbing" was welcomed and allowed. And if it was rebuffed, that was the end of it. As far as I know, there was no parade of casting couch "assaults" required for advancement in Trump's business.

The bar was set with Bill Clinton, and a host of Presidents before him. That cleansed me of caring anymore about what a President did sexually. Clinton was far worse than Trump, and he did it before and while being POTUS. We were told it was not our business. And that he was a really good President. And he was not to be removed from office, but to quit harassing him about it, and it was important to the country to let him do his job. Holding Trump to a higher standard holds no interest for me.

Apparently, for you, his past private personal sex is far more important than what Cortez can do in a powerful national political office. I asked you to clarify your position, and I guess you have.