View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #74
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
No one has ever suggested all cops are bad. But that’s all conservatives hear But again facts are not on your side

Data collected by the Washington Post on the use of lethal force by police officers since 2015 indicate that, relative to the portion of the population, Blacks are over-represented among all those killed by police under all circumstances. As is evident in Figure 1 below, (looking at the top blue bar) according to the US Census estimates, Blacks made up 13% of the population. However, in 2015 they accounted for 26% of those that were killed by police, in 2016, 24%, and in 2017, 23% of all those killed by police. In other words, Blacks were the victims of the lethal use of force by police at nearly twice their rate in the general population.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"Why would that have any bearing on the topic ?"

Because it shows that your side isn't interested in addressing problems, not even interested in admitting problems, unless they are politically convenient. Let's ignore the rampant black-on-black violence, to focus on the rare (but tragic) cases of white cops behaving horribly. There's also a huge difference between a scared cop making a good-faith mistake, and a pre-meditated racial assassination.

"What agenda?"

You know what agenda. To spread the bull that liberal=good, conservative=bad.

"If you wentThere is no widespread institutional agenda to kill unarmed blacks. Black people would beg to differ"

Well their differing would be based on political manipulation (the purpose of all the hype), not on anything close to facts.

"No one has ever suggested all cops are bad. But that’s all conservatives hear"

Wrong. You have a serious, serious issue with reading comprehension and short term memory, because you have a constant habit of responding to insane gibberish that no one ever said. I never claimed that liberals think "all" cops are bad. But liberals make the threat from white cops, out to be a hell of a lot more common than it is, to fire up their base.

"facts are not on your side"

Let's be very clear. Very clear. When I say that far more blacks are killed by other blacks, than are killed by white cops, you are saying the facts aren't on my side? If not, what did I actually say (as opposed to what you think I said) which differs from the facts?

"Blacks are over-represented among all those killed by police under all circumstances" I am 100% certain that is correct. But is that because cops are targeting blacks? Or is it because blacks commit a disproportionate share of violent crime, and disproportionately live in places where violent crime occurs?

If you grant that cops will occasionally make mistakes (and that unlike when I make mistakes at work, lives can be lost when they make mistakes), it stands to reason that most mistakes will occur in high stress situations, in settings where cops feel endangered - urban high-crime areas. Common sense also suggests that if one group lives disproportionately in those areas, they will make up a disproportionate share of victims of mistakes.

I'm not saying white cops are never guilty of premeditated murder. I'm saying that some cases of white cops shooting unarmed blacks, are cops making honest mistakes as opposed to premeditated assassinations, and that race has nothing to do with it. Sadly, there is ALWAYS going to be collateral damage when enforcing laws, and the ethnical make-up of victims of that damage will reflect the ethnic makeup of dangerous, urban areas.

Admitting that truth, generates no political capital. Blaming it on racist white cops, produces significant political capital. Who cares that it also produces dead cops, right? As long as Al Sharpton remains relevant.

Here's a law of statistics you left out...correlation does not equal causation. There is no proof, none, that skin color is the reason why a disproportionate number of blacks are killed by cops.

I have no doubt that a small number of black lives can be saved by rooting out the small number of evil white cops. But FAR MORE black lives could be saved, if we could temper black-on-black violence. Yet you and your liberal ilk spend all of their time fanatically focused on the minute threat posed by white cops. What other possible reason would you do so, other than politics?

According to my link, in 2016, 7,881 blacks were killed from violence. According to the uber-liberal Washington Post, 233 black men were shot by police, 16 were unarmed. 16 is 16 too many. But it's two-tenths of one percent of the black victims. 99.8% of black victims were in a category other than "unarmed killed by police".

Interestingly, among all homicide suspects whose race was known, white killers of blacks numbered only 243.

Fatherlessness kills way, way more young black men, than white cops do. You see the devastating effects of fatherlessness at your job, you know it far better than I do. But you'll ignore it, for political reasons.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/26/all-th...ack-homicides/