Thread: Fox and Friends
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #21
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"In the 21th century I'd put an electronic lock on the front door with camera on it so I can see who is there and I'd have cameras hanging off the roof focusing on my property to see if anyone was approaching it."

Almost all of us still use metal locks. But whatever. Just as a door isn't the same as a wall, your house doesn't have 2,000 miles of lateral frontage with which one can enter. You need to secure a much smaller linear area in your house, much easier to do with electronic surveillance.

Paul, if your young children slept in a guest house which was 10 miles away from the house in which you slept, would you be satisfied with electronic locks and cameras to alert you if a murderer was sneaking into their room? No. Because by the time you got there, it would be too late. Right? You'd have guards and a barrier. Right?

On a 2,000 mile border, drones and cameras might be effective at telling us that people are crossing, and where. I'm not sure I see how it helps us stop them, unless they all happen to cross within 100 yards of where the nearest border security personnel are. A camera might allow us to get a better count of how many are coming in, how does it help us prevent them from coming in, on a 2,000 mile border?

That's a sincere question. Not trying to be a wise azz.

Don't we already use drones and cameras?
We do already use drones and cameras and people in certain spots. but some of the areas Trump wants the walls are very remote and get very very few people going through bc it is mountainous or in the desert so a wall is a waste. In San Diego a wall makes sense but in the hot desert w/no people walking through it makes less sense. Also, the guards say a concrete wall is not preferred as they want to see what is on the other side.

Plus you have the issue of much of the land is privately held.