Thread: Jerry Covers JT
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #28
chrisjoe13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

Don, I just listened to this clip and no suprise it does nothing for me. Its a bunch of blues cliches played with little emotion. He might as well be doing his taxes. Where the FEELING?
Great players to me make memorable lines. Can you sing a Jerry guitar line? Does he improvise with great melodies? Take a solo say the Allman Bros - I can sing both solos to Blue Sky. They play amazing improvised melodies. The melodies could stand on their own. I cant say that for any Jerry solo. It sound like "notes" and not a melody.
I hope you guys are not insulted by this. I appreciate your opinions and as I said I wish I could get it. I've been playing music for close to 28 yrs, teaching, playing, analyzing solos, and just never connected with Jerry or teh Dead. I can sing along to Sugar Magnolia or Tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g when the come on the radio but give me CCR any day over the Dead. I just never got the excitment people have for them. My buddies would play Dead bootlegs for hours and it was like background music on an elavator.
Not insulted at all, just dumbfounded because to me, Jerry does all of the things you aren't hearing, better than anyone else: emotion, playing the melodies in every which way, actually playing the words with his guitar but with even more emotion at times. (the radio versions of Sugar mag and tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& are super-cheesy).
The whole Deadhead thing is amazing though. I think unprecedented in modern society and probably never to happen again. People were nuts for him. To each his own (of course).
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote