Thread: More kitchens
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #130
Hookedagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Its great that you are getting to work with and teach your son some valuable skills.....less and less of our kids are going into the building trades. Both of my boys went their own way vocationally and are doing fine. Getting closer to retiring now and I am feeling it's time to try to give it away to someone deserving.
As a 19 year old, I was lucky enough to have a knowledgeable and highly skilled mentor teach me stuff I still use now...decades later. I bump into him every once in a while and thank him sincerely for taking the time.
He is in college to be a biologist, a wildlife biologist actually. He loves the outdoors and the animals that live there. I explained to him that I want him to get his education, and work with his head. But he also should learn a trade as well. He really enjoys the finish work end of construction. He's young but grasps it well. Understanding the way things work is half the battle. I joke with him and tell him I don't want him to do this for a living, he needs to learn it so he doesn't call me every time he has a door that won't close of a stair that squeaks....he'll know what to do.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote