View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
It disgusts me to see peaceful protesters treated the same way that the Iranian regime treated me, when I marched on the streets in 2009.

Don't know how Iran treated him, but saying we treated our peaceful protesters the way Iran reportedly treated its protesters seems more like a lie or misrepresentation rather than mere exaggeration.

I was struck this week when President Trump had the peaceful protesters forcibly removed from Lafayette Park so that he could stage a photo op, in which he used the Christian religion as a political weapon the way the mullahs have exploited Islam for four decades.

One of the ways we do resemble Iran, a small way, is that our dominant established press often purposely misrepresents (lies about) what actually happens. The result being that good people like Mr. Khatiri are susceptible to a false picture.

See what Bill Barr says actually happened. For full article link to: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/barr-de...k-white-house/.

Before the Lafayette park incident occurred, there was already a plan, because of the violence that was escalating in D.C., to extend the defensive perimeter around the White House before the Lafayette park incident. Here are following excerpts from article:

"This is the federal city. It's the seat of the federal government," Barr said at the virtual press conference. "When you have a large-scale civil disturbance that is damaging federal property, threatening federal property, threatening federal law enforcement officers, threatening the officials in government and their officers and our great monuments, it is the responsibility of the federal government to render that protection, and we do so in close coordination with the Metropolitan Police Department."

In Washington, demonstrations north of the White House escalated in intensity over three nights beginning on Friday, May 29, and peaked on Sunday when demonstrators set several fires, damaged buildings and launched projectiles, the attorney general said.

"It was very serious rioting," Barr said. "The Treasury Department annex there was broken into. A historical building on Lafayette Park, which is federal property, was burned down. There was a fire set at the historical St. John's Church, right there across from the White House."

The attorney general said there were "numerous head injuries" among officers protecting the White House, and 114 overall injuries to law enforcement since Saturday. He said 22 officers have been hospitalized, most with head injuries.

Barr said he hoped to extend the perimeter "relatively quickly, before many demonstrators appeared that day," but delays in getting units in place pushed back the move.

"By the time they were able to move our perimeter up to I Street, there had been a number, a large number of protesters that had assembled on H Street," he said, adding that the group was becoming "increasingly unruly." He claimed the protesters were asked three times to move back a block, which has been disputed by demonstrators who were there.

"They refused. We proceeded to move our perimeter out to I Street," Barr continued.

Federal officers deployed chemical irritants to scatter dozens of protesters, a dramatic confrontation that played out on live television just minutes before Mr. Trump was set to address the nation from the White House Rose Garden.

On Thursday, Barr denied that the decision to extend the perimeter was related to the president's decision to walk to the church.

"There was no correlation between our tactical plan of moving the perimeter out by one block and the president's going over to the church," he said.

And fake videos were made to make it look like the forced movement of the crowd was occurring while Trump was walking to the church when it actually occurred well before that.

Contrast this moment with President Bush, who, after 9/11, took off his shoes and walked into a mosque to remind us that Americans of all religions were the victims of that great tragedy and not perpetrators or sympathizers.

One of these men was trying to make America more American. And one of them is trying to turn it into something different.

Something that I recognize. Remember: I grew up in Iran.

The violation of Americans’ Constitutional right to assembly disgusts me like nothing in my life. Sure, I have seen worse in Iran—much, much worse. But I expected that. In fact, I expected nothing but police brutality, discrimination, and oppression in Iran. Because that’s the natural state of an illiberal regime.

To see anything similar in America, even if a fraction of it? It’s not natural; it’s disgusting.

The Constitutional right to assembly was not violated. The protesters still had that right, but a block away from where they were gathered. There was never a right to assemble wherever you wanted. There is no right to block streets. If there is a lawful boundary, it cannot be trespassed without permission. One wonders, if there even is a right to assemble in close packed crowds when there are restrictions against that during a pandemic.

And it is disgusting not because America has suddenly become evil, but because the government of the United States is betraying Americanism—its ideals, its beauty, its generosity, its kindness.

OK, here he's getting into his overly rosy, dreamlike notion of Americanism. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, generosity and kindness are personal traits, not intrinsic only in Americans. Surely, there must have been kind and generous Iranians in Iran. Did that make them "American"?

Republicans, conservatives, those of you who spent the 2000s parroting President Bush’s sincere call for liberty, equality, and compassion, where are you? This betrayal of America’s Founding principles is not patriotism. Tax cuts, deregulation, and judges may be nice things, but they aren’t what makes America, America.

Now he's wallowing in the make-believe world of virtue signaling. A vague signal at that. What is he claiming the Founding principles to be? Equality, liberty, and compassion?

And where does he get this notion that tax cuts, deregulation and judges aren't what make America, America. This is feel good, "snow fake" nonsense. We were essentially founded on the condition of low federal taxes, limited government, and a judicial system created to prevent government from expanding, compassionately or otherwise, beyond its prescribed limitations.

America was never about any of those things. It was about liberty and equality of rights.

Liberty, protected against government intrusion by LAW, not compassion or generosity. Equality before the LAW, not any other equality. LAW--that blindfolded, dispassionate, justice.

Like all human projects, America has always been—and always will be—imperfect. Our Constitution opens with:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Yes, the Constitution, the supreme law of the land is what ensures our ability to strive for a more perfect union.

A more perfect Union! Just because our ideals haven’t been fully met, it doesn’t mean we stop seeking them. The Framers knew we would never reach perfection. All they asked was that each generation endeavor to inch closer toward it, always uncovering the flaws, and always trying to fix them.

And yet, perhaps because of his overly rosy view of the intrinsically harsh, cold, dispassionate nature of American LAW, he doesn't understand that our ideals are fully met by strictly adhering to Constitutional limitations, and that abandoning principles for feelings of compassion, over time, erodes, inch by inch, the hard rock foundation that holds together the ability to freely maintain that more perfect union and possibly create that perfect one.

We owe it to the Founding Fathers, to those who came before us and made it better for us. We owe it to Lincoln and Frederick Douglas and Harriet Tubman, to Teddy Roosevelt and Susan B. Anthony, to Franklin Roosevelt and Martin Luther King Jr. and Jackie Robinson, to Bill Buckley and Ronald Reagan. And we owe it to those who will come after us, too.

He is so in love with his rosy picture of America, that he doesn't recognize that some of those he claims we owe it to were more "racist," authoritarian, Constitution Busters than Trump.
Namely the two Roosevelts.

President Trump’s apologists and enablers are not inching us closer to perfection. They are encouraging a fast and accelerating retreat in the opposite direction.

He was so starved for freedom because of his oppression in Iran that he accepted the America he came to, comparatively, as a near paradise. But he doesn't know, or doesn't want to know, that by the time he got here, America had already inched away from its founding "ideals" and was steadily inching further away. He doesn't realize, or doesn't want to, that Trump, for all his massive faults and abrasive personality, is like a monkey wrench thrown into the Progressive process that was grinding us toward the type of government that he hates.

Lincoln is my first love
Well, if you think that moving protesters a block further away from where they were is taking away their constitutional rights, how do you justify killing and maiming hundreds of thousands in order to take away half a nations constitutional desire to not associate with you?