View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #107
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
That's what I thought. As such, in MA, you can't really negotiate to agree not to take health insurance for higher pay if you have anyone in the same class as you.

As such, scott's argument is invalid - like I said from the beginning.
Where is there something saying that an employee in MA can't negotiate a higher salary in lieu of health benefits? I'm confused about this because I know of several people who have negotiated higher salaries because they didn't need to enroll in their company sponsored health plan. The class argument is only that it has to be offered to all employees of the same class. Some may take the insurance, and some may pass on it. If someone passes on it because they have a plan through their spouse, they save the company money. If they are smart, they tell the boss that they'd like a higher salary because they are saving the company X amount of dollars.

So from what I read above, Scott's argument is perfectly valid.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio