View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #16
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
My driveway is quite large (IMO)....35x100, and I too buy my sealant at that same Contractor's Supply in EP...think it cost me $180+tax last time (5gal)... >>ouch>>....I never felt I had enough relief lines though,,, and through the years, it's definitely proven that.
My patio, 45x15?, was stamped with a cobblestone pattern. This makes it much harder to properly seal in trying to get the sealant into each crevice when using a roller (the cobblestone stamp was heavily detailed, strongly showing the lines between each stone)...I do use the proper roller (the fluffiest one) but it's still a bear to do and takes me quite a bit of sealant to apply properly....and yeah, I learned after the first year...don't do it in the hot sun...

I must say, I find it amazing that one bucket has lasted you 4 years...that's awesome. When I do both the driveway and the patio, I use well over 10 gallons, probably closer to 15 to be honest....??? That's almost 3 buckets a year! When you do the math, it's expensive...makes me think I'm applying too much, when I still feel that I'm not applying enough ...

**I also had a bad batch one year...a few days after the sealant had dried, most of it started flaking and peeled away. I went back to the store and they insisted I added a thinner to it to create more
I think the reason you use so much is because of the cobble stone pattern. I have a large flagstone pattern on both and the lines between each stone are maybe 1/2 inch or a little more. Being that large it's easier to put down the sealer. I use 2 coats but I don't use the fluffy roller. I use the 3/8" nap.
Oh, and boy I learned after year 1 not to do it in the sun. I ended up with bubbles everywhere. The other night I did the patio. I waited until the sun was behind the house and the patio was in total shade.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote