View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I watched the CNN clip and briefly felt some empathy for those mocked and insulted (including some of my family). But then I remembered: kids in cages, poisoned environment, the Middle East, Bully-in-Chief, election cheat, and Russian tool. Have at 'em, Rick Wilson. Respect is earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Did you remember, who constructed the cages and first used them to house children who were separated from their families?

You broke your brain.
As usual, you only remember the party line.

Only one President has ever implemented a zero tolerance policy, and he is still doing it.

President Donald Trump signed an executive order last June ostensibly ending zero tolerance and family separations at the border and promising to reunite almost 3,000 children with their parents. Yet relying largely on a technical exception, at least 700 more families have been separated since then, and at least five children have died.

In many cases, the separations since then have continued under the guise of fitting into a narrow exception to the order — that the parent poses a danger to the child, or has a serious criminal record or gang affiliation. (The exception can also be invoked if the parent is sick, or when an aunt, uncle or sibling is accompanying the child.)

“The government is trying to drive a truck through what was supposed to be a very narrow exception,” notes Lee Gelernt of the American Civil Liberties Union, who believes that the number of separated families will be more than 1,000 by the end of this summer.

Advocates, however, argue that many children are being separated from their parents for minor crimes or questionable, unverified accusations of gang affiliation, neither of which would be allowed to occur to American parents under U.S. law. And so despite the end of the zero tolerance policy, children have continued to be separated from parents only charged with the so-called crime of entering the country illegally, according to the government’s own data released to the Houston Chronicle.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin