View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I don't know if the agreement was a 3 way with Cain a signee. But if it was, couldn't you ask the same question about him? And wouldn't the rest. assoc. be subject to the same provision?
Since it occurred 8 minutes before your reply, you probably didn't get a chance to see my retraction. As I said, I misread the Politico story as implying that they got their information directly from the women involved. Politico says merely "unnamed" sources, not specifically the women. And if Herman Cain was a signatory to the agreement he may have breached the confidentiallity agreement by saying that he never sexually harassed anybody. So yes, if he signed the agreement, you're right, the same thing can be said about him. Plus, he's already been caught in the lie about not knowing about the settlement. But we don't know if he was directly involved in the settlement. It may have been a suit against the Association and been between the Association and the plaintiffs. The problem is we don't really know the details so conjecture is pointless. Supposedly, once these agreements are made, that is the end of it. If a third party not involved in the negotiation divulged the information to Politico, legally, it can only be considered hearsay and is more sensational rather than responsible journalism. The fact that it is being brought up now, especially if by an uninvolved party, smells more of political destruction than an attempt to bring justice to the agrieved women. They settled their justice years ago, apparently satisfied with the compensation, and would not want to lose it now by breach of contract. But, Cain's public discussion even though it has been a response to charges, if he signed the agreement, opens the door for a judge to disallow the confidentiality statements and the women may tell their stories. Their may be even more damaging information about Cain to come out. There are "reports" that he wasn't all that competent as an executive before. A lot is going to happen to Cain in the next few days and weeks that may undo him. He invited this by running for President. If he, miraculously, survives, he'll be worthy of the office. Doubtful.

Last edited by detbuch; 11-02-2011 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: typos