Thread: Conrads et al
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #19
wrikerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post
The Saltys is perfect for that build yes, that's why I suggested them in the article.

Woody, I did some research on the Conrads and found that there were two different ones (sinking and floating) the floaters were made of pine and sinkers maple or birch. Of course I did not have a wide array of plugs to choose from so there may be other intermediate versions as well. Have you been able to confirm the use of maple in the floaters? Just curious. I borrowed a well-used floater that was clearly made of pine. Interesting how these guys made slight variations like this.

I have never heard of an intermediate and the 15 or so that i have 2 were the floaters and the rest were all deep divers, one had a more rounded off face and most had eel skin notches grooved in afterwards. I bought most of these plugs as beaters in yardsales for about $1 or so over the years.

-Dave
Dave,

I am by far no expert like you. I have about 15 of danny's conrad's floating around my house and most of them are off with friends at this point as i completed the build and am very happy.

Some were indeed made of pine and some were birch or maple (i am not 100% sure it is all maple, but its not rock maple that is for sure). I actually cut 5 of the plugs in half (i know i know but i don't have a x-ray machine access and my dentist looked at me like i had 5 heads when i asked him to x-ray the plugs) so i did what i had to do.

Of the 5 plugs i cut in half 4 were made of maple and one of pine. Some of the maples had weight in them and some did not but they all seimed to weigh the same at the end. The pine was heavily weighted but the line tie was lower. All lips were the same and all plugs sat at rest the same in the water. I have never seen a conrad plug that is neutrally buyount or sinks without a retrieve. The maple when retrieved went down about 6 feet on average and you could tune them to go lower but the pine only went down about 2 feet and you could get it on top easily as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed the article you wrote on the conrad junior and as a plug builder who did my research and extensive testing can say what you wrapped up in the article took me about 1 1/2 years to do and i would do it again as I like to learn from every build i take on.

Kindest,
Billy
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote