View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
A civil-rights movement that included protests and speech that many considered offensive - protected by the same document that I feel *is* the "end all, be all".

No, I don't think you get it. Protections in the Constitution allowed the protests and rallies that help force the government into eliminating segregation. Yet, you want to allow the same "stupid government" that treated blacks as second-class citizens to ignore protections to free speech based on what some arbitrary definition of common sense.
No, I get it fine. You said it was courtesy that led them to put blacks at the back of the bus. It wasn't. It was narrow mindedness and racism that did it. By calling it courtesy, you're really diminishing the injustices put upon minorities back then. But if it helps you make your point, go with it.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio