View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #56
Joe

I have stuff in some tourist shops down in Narragansett. The last two years have not been good - not just my stuff, but overall. There's no way the retail revenue streams, and the fact that we don't tax clothing, is going to equal the revenue generated from the beach lots.
People are trying to save money - they are bringing a cooler instead of eating out. They go to the beach, and then straight home to beat the traffic as best as they can. The wallet opens for the fee, then stays shut the rest of the day. The people who shop are the people who rent houses for a week and it rains once or twice. My sister's store in Wickford, right on the way to Narragansett, has never done well on good beach days - and she's selling skin care products, beach bags, flip flops, cover-ups, etc.
Even at $28 - people are still going to go. Last year, the digital information signs highway signs on 95 south were reading "state beach lots full" before noon on good beach days and people were exiting to turn around.
Compared to other forms of recreation, it's not that much and you can stay for four, six, seven hours.