Thread: Apple Inc
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #63
detbuch

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1135617]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

Yes, and we could also help more people if you paid a lot more taxes than you owe. But you don't. No one does.

If I owned a company, and I could legally minimize my taxes by moving money elsewhere, I would. So would you. How stupid would one have to be, to pay billions more in taxes than one has to?

W had an uncompetitive corporate tax rate. When you make stupid public policy, sometimes there are negative results. I'm not saying the GOP is perfect. I'm not even saying that the tax overhaul will necessarily prove to be a good thing. I'm saying that because of that tax overhaul, and only because of that tax overhaul, we will have 38 billion more to do some good with.
Just think of how much more good could have been done if the Clinton, Bush, and Obama administrations had lowered the corporate tax rates. That's 24 years of collecting money lost to offshore accounts from even more companies than Apple. Were talking hundreds of billions, maybe trillions, and if most of it had been used to pay down the national debt, which was lower then--wow!!

But no, it's better in the eyes of Progressives to spend beyond means and tax the rich at higher rates to pay for overspending, then borrow from the rich in order to pay for money lost by overtaxing, and so get deeper in debt, and keep the circle jerk going of constantly paying by borrowing as the debt becomes unsustainable. And in the meantime grossly enriching the very rich whom the Progressives say are going to pay their "fair share" so that the government can give the rest of us a lot of good stuff. Genius!

Last edited by detbuch; 01-21-2018 at 10:24 AM..