View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
ed morini

Code

Spence, first off find out what code the state is using, probably IRC 2009, and ask what other codes are being used. In Mass, a homeowner gets to do his own work and myne issued a permit, but that does not absolve him/her from code requirements. Given the age of your house you should have no problem leaving your stairs alone...provided they were legal when first installed. An inspector cannot require new code requirements on an older building if it was built legally. You really have to look at the code book...perfect example, inspectors require strapping and blocking in some localities here in MA, but the code does not, there is a ratio of thickness to depth for their requirement and a 2X12 does not require blocking. You cannot find any reference to require strapping either.

Having been a building commissioner for awhile I can sympathize with your plight and the other members. Part of the problem is that alot of the inspectors do not have enough field time to use as background in the office, and builders suffer.

If I can help you let me know

Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote