View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #28
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish On View Post
Chris/Ed, thanks so much. I never understood what it meant to be a Dad until I became one. So much fun seeing him enjoy and discover new things especially with fishing.

So let me take largemouth back a generation. Here are two photo's of my Dad (my original fishing mentor and hero) with his two biggest largemouth bass. As I remember, one weighed 5 3/4 lbs and one was 6 lbs. Both of these are caught at the same lake as my son's recent largemouth but almost 45 years earlier. The first, I believe was the smaller of the two, was caught in 1973. It was caught on a yellow flatfish visible in the picture. There is a second photo of it being measured at almost 2 feet. My Dad released this fish and it swam away to spite having been out of the water for quite a while. Largemouth are so resilient. I can remember my Dad saying that we should have eaten that fish, but I think he felt good that he let it go.

The second, I believe is the larger of the two, but I have no picture of it measured. It was caught a year or two later. This one was caught on a rebel and it was cleaned, frozen and served as the main course of a big sunday dinner later that fall. I can remember everyone saying how good it tasted.

Both fish were caught on 6 lb test and on the troll. My Dad always liked a light line for casting and feel.

I've seen many largemouth caught at our lake and heard of many others since but have never seen or heard of two bigger largemouth bass than these that have come out of this lake. He was quite the freshwater fisherman.
Those are absolute MONSTERS. Can't believe people actually eat them though

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote