Thread: EPA my arse!
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Luckily for you, the appointments are made by elected officials who are accountable/vulnerable to the electorate.

Can you name any of the appointed regulators? Do you know when they were appointed? Do you know who appointed them? Do you know who to hold accountable for their appointment? Do you know, or are aware of, the thousands of regulations the appointees make every year. Do you know how many federal regulatory agencies there are and what are all the different things they regulate? Most of us can't answer any of those questions.

Most of the hundreds of agencies were created some time in the past, and most of the present Congress people cannot personally be held accountable for their creation.

For the most part, to the public at large the regulators are anonymous. Within their agencies, they have legislative, executive, and judicial power--the three powers combined into one--can't get more all-powerful or unlimited than that.

Progressives have no interest in an all powerful central government, that is Trump's fantasy. He just wants to be sure that power lies with him.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The Progressive founders, in their own recorded words, do not use the phrase "all powerful" in respect to their concept of government's power. Instead, they used words such as "limited," stating that government should not be limited. I suppose there is some kind of difference between government not being limited and government being "all powerful."

And Trump is using a piece of that power to act progressively against what the Constitution would not have allowed. Most Presidents, if not all, after Coolidge, have acted in various degrees, progressively. Trump is no different than the others in wanting their portion of progressive power.

It would be fun and informative to have a discussion on Progressive politics, its history, its presence in todays "liberalism." What is your definition or conception of Progressive political theory?

Last edited by detbuch; 08-08-2018 at 08:53 PM..