Thread: plug protection
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 03:26 PM   #5
tricorner

Send a message via AIM to tricorner
Plug Finish

Hey the acrylic paint first puzzles me,the guy that said sandable primer first makes sense to me. I have a background in making signs the old fashioned way so I know a bit about paint. Some of these wooden lure companies I suspect use laquer for the primer and color because it dries quick. Some of them do use a clearcoat and I suspect Gibbs does not and Habs does. Clearcoat does not make anything bulletproof especially a lure as they take a lot of abuse and a motorcycle tank gets more tenderloving care than I could ever hope to get myself. I have wooden swimmers Ive never caught a fish on and the treble hooks on the front do more paint damage than anything.
I plan to refurbish alot of my wood before the fall migration which is when I usually throw wood. I plan on using a sandable spray primer (automotive) or "Blockout" which is a sign primer for wood, then I will coat them with "One Shot" Lettering Enamel for the color and then Airbrush the oneshot for all my fades and eyes.
I also plan on Gold Leafing a swimmer or Two for thowing wood at sunup or down . I believe that wood drive a September Cow to react without a hestation.
If U want to see a good paint job on a wooden plug check out the "Habs" . It looks like they might use some automotive pearls and such they make me want to chomp on them!
Hey good luck bud
tricorner is offline   Reply With Quote