View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #13
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
I hope you're talking standard concrete and NOT dyed, stamped and SEALED concrete?

I have both my driveway and patio done in stamped concrete.
Maintenance is very expensive.
The sealant (which I recommend be done every year) isn't the easiest application. Best rolled on, but more gets used which equals more money. Rolling it on is a bear because as you put it on, due to it's tackiness, is clings back on to the roller...you just never seem to get enough on. The first few applications are most critical. You want to fill in the pores so they don't grow. The bigger the pores, the more it will take to seal each time.
Don't get me wrong, it looks really nice when sealed properly, but the maintenance costs along with the cracking (it will crack) have made me regret it. I should have gone pavers.

If you weren't talking stamped, .....forget all that.
If you are talking a driveway, I agree. If you are talking a walkway or patio, I strongly disagree. I have a 20X20 patio of stamped concrete and a 6X40' walkway. Both are over 5 or 6 years old. Neither had cracked. I use a sealer I buy from Contractors Supply in East P RI and it's about $200.00 for 5 gallons. 5 gallons have lasted me 4 years.

I use a roller to apply and the one trick I found out is to apply when it's not in the sun and relatively cool. Doesn't get tacky, doesn't bubble and goes on evenly with a roller. We love the look.
I have nothing bad to say about it but I don't know how it would work for a driveway.
The cracking is kind of interesting as we have NO cracking on both areas. The contractor cut relief lines into the cement after it dried so it can expand and contract with the weather.

Last edited by piemma; 05-26-2017 at 05:15 AM..

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote