View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I've been debating (for years) a glass eeling rod myself...
Once I figure out which blank to have it wrapped on, you can try mine, John - the only problem may be taking the Long Walk as opposed to the Short one to fully appreciate it...

I'll quote Mike (the Sultan of S-Glass...) himself from his 2005 post here:

"Comfortable casting range starts around 2 oz. This is a slow-loading fiberglass rod that's perfect for slinging big eels, as the slow load keeps you from tearing eels loose if you have to drive your cast...Fantastic for the biggest plugs, and you can whip a fish on this rod faster than the guys around you would ever believe. ... Being fiberglass, it stands up well to rocks and you can lean into fish to get them away from the junk. If I could only have one rod to fish with, this would be it."

Great rod, but fishing glass again may feel a little weird at first. Perfect for big pencils, too, like a Habs 3.5 oz Canal special - when you shake it, the S-Glass vibrates in a parabolic arc and you can't get that parabolic shake with graphite like the GSB's. Just got a 108 3M for rigged Sluggos, smaller pencils and smaller eels - it's big brother is just a great big water/big fish set-up

Just trying to figure out if lopping off that much from a 132 will stiffen it too much

Maybe Saltheart or Seawolf will chime in on it

Last edited by Crafty Angler; 02-05-2010 at 09:21 AM..

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote