View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
What would it take, for a little honesty to take place here?

I am not a huge advocate of arming teachers. But no one said it would be perfect. If teachers have guns, there is the potential for more violence...the guns could go off accidentally, the teacher could snap and shoot up the school, a student could take the gun and shoot up the school. Those are the "cons" of arming teachers.

WDMSO, when you evaluate an idea, do you only look at the cons, or do you consider the pros, as well?

The idea of arming teachers offers the following potentially significant pros - it may deter some would-be shooters, it may help stop shootings from being worse than they otherwise would be.

Arming teachers might lead to some additional violence. But it's possible, that the violence it prevents, more than offsets that. So while the idea doesn't solve the problem, it might be an improvement over the status quo. That's the argument we need to have.

"the laws of probability more guns equal more accidents & gun violence"

When you ignore the deterrent effect, and you ignore the potential ability for a teacher to reduce the casualties of a shooting, you are right.

We will never get anywhere with thoughtless partisan rants.

Your logic is that perfect is the enemy of 'better'. It's thoughtless and dishonest.
These are in the US
On average 10 children a year have been killed by guns in schools over the past 25 years.
On average 100 children a year have been killed riding their bicycles to school each year for the past 25 years
On average 1500 children a year are killed in gun violence
On average 15000 children a year are injured by guns
You accuse people of being thoughtless and dishonest because they think that more children will be killed if there are more guns in schools when the shots fired were one of two negligent discharge incidents yesterday. I can not find good statistics on negligent gun discharges by people currently permitted to have guns in schools, it would be interesting. However I would surmise that it will not save lives.
I think we have a gun problem but i think it is far bigger than school shootings

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin