View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I epoxy seal all my maple/birch this way.

Heated in toaster oven, 200 degrees for 15-20 minutes

I use etex and denatured alcohol to seal.

I heat my epoxy bottles up in hot tap water, helps thin it out a tad

I mix the etex like you would for topcoat.

Then I cut it with the DA about 25%, at first it won’t want to mix, but keep stirring and it will mix just fine

I remove the warm plug and pour the epoxy thru the plug, making sure it runs out of both ends, hook and eye holes, ill pour it thru the tail first and then flip it and pour it thru the nose, hook and eye holes, basically making sure the whole plug has had the epoxy poured thru it

I use cheap plastic cups, I’ll put maybe 1/4” of epoxy mix in the bottom of one cup and after 1 plug is done I just let it sit nose down to soak up more and then flip it when the next plug is done

I’ll do 3-4 plugs at a time and then wipe them down with lint less paper towels, like the brown kraft towels

If the plug has a lip slot I make sure to hang the plug tail down, so any excess epoxy doesn’t cure in the slot.

One you’re all done doing all your plugs, double check the bottom end for excess and wipe if necessary

Allow to dry 24 hours minimum

The results are a rock hard sealed plug, works great for softer woods too, helps make em less soft
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote