View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Bump.

And a quick story.

My best experience with a Hab's plug is something that might be considered sacrilegious to many...

I was driving over the Newport Bridge when a friend called me and said that there was one of the biggest flocks of birds working off Third Beach he had ever seen. I drove down to see that he was not kidding... mullet, peanuts, butterfish and silversides were all being pushed to the beach... when I looked around there was not a bent rod in sight! The fish were chowing out of range, so I put on a Habs 3 oz Pencil and heaved it for all I was worth. After about 10 fruitless casts, my plug was assaulted by a very large bluefish... all of 15 pounds. And then the beach exploded... huge blues everywhere. I rummaged in my bag but found that it was set up for nighttime with a single pencil for first light... I muttered "Sorry Habs" and kept casting. The results of the day were special I had a 19-pound bluefish as my largest official, but I caught another that was noticeably larger. But that wasn't what made it special. As the blitz wore on, crowds of people from the neighborhood down the street began to gather at the edge of the dune, they were watching in astonishment as young kids began to filter into the line of casters to see what we were doing. I began shoveling bent rods into the hands of little boys and girls and watching them strain to crank in these double-digit blues. The best one was a 6-year old boy from Vermont, he beached (with a lot of help from me) a 16-pound bluefish on that Habs Pencil. By the end of the melee it looked like I dragged it behind the car on a trip to the Grand Canyon, but I felt like Habs wouldn't have wanted in any other way. Hope to see you all on Sunday at Coddington's to remember our old friend.

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote